Go back to normal view
Christ Church Skipton History
Did you know?
1837 June 21st. The foundation stone is laid. George IV had died the previous day, but Skipton didn’t know until the end of the ceremony. “God save the King” was suddenly changed to “God save the Queen”. Victoria had begun her reign!
1839 September 25th. The mammoth building task is complete! Church consecrated by Bishop of Ripon. Builders had constructed a burial crypt under the church to hold over 300 bodies, but it was used only once! Arthur Watson, a lad of seventeen, was the only one ever to be buried there. Christopher Sidgwick was an important benefactor of the new church. Architect was R.D. Chantrell who also designed Leeds Parish Church.
1905 Major re-ordering. Harrison & Harrison’s install a new organ – a magnificent instrument! Stained glass added along with oak panelling in the chancel
1920’s Sir Charles Nicholson designs the starry ceiling above the chancel, and the Girl’s Friendly Society pay for the imposing crucifix which still hangs today.
1980’s The new church hall is built adjoining the church; the old Parish Hall having been sold.
2009 To make the church more of a community asset, the pews are removed and an oak floor is installed, along with under-floor heating and other modern facilities. Christ Church is fit for the twenty – first century!